Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

1975 Evinrude 9.9. Just rebuilt the carb and replaced a bad

Customer Question

1975 Evinrude 9.9. Just rebuilt the carb and replaced a bad coil. Engine has good spark and shows 130psi compression on both cylinders. When you try to crank it it never gives any indication it wants to even try and fire up
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** you priming the primer bulb and choking the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Crank engine over then pull the spark plugs out are they dry or wet with fuel? How are you checking the spark?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The plugs are slightly wet, but not what I would consider flooded. They will still spark if you ground them and turn the engine over. I have used both a spark tester and the plugs themselves by grounding them to the block. I cannot pull the rope forever so I have a setup to turn the flywheel over with a drill.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok on the spark gap tester will the spark jump a 7/16" gap? The spark has to be strong enough to jump this gap or the engine will not start easily and will perform poorly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have not used a gap tester, just a spark tester. Local NAPA will have one for me in the AM. If it won't jump the 7/16" gap is that a likely indicator that it is a stator issue? Again, its not that this runs bad, it will not start at all. When it originally was running, it would crank & run, but had no power. Testing revealed it had a bad coil, which has been replaced. Will see if both plug wire will jump that gap and follow up tomorrow morning.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Yes a stator issue.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Could be points or condenser issue also. Have you replaced the points and condensers yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, have not replaced either of those. I de check the points making sure they were gapped correctly, which they were not, but resetting them made no difference. They do not seem burnt or worn.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
They are cheap it's worth replacing them especially if you have weak spark. A bad condenser can cause weak spark.