Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

1988 50 hp mercury. Starts well,runs well at low speed but

Customer Question

1988 50 hp mercury. Starts well,runs well at low speed but cannot get to hi speed.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Tan. Have you done a spark and compression test yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes and it,s ok
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
OK then when you are running the boat push the choke when you get to where the engine is not performing. Does it run better? Then squeeze the primer bulb. Does it run better? These tests have to be done when the boat is acting up or at the rpms it is failing at.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am not running the boat right now. i am at home
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok we have eliminated spark and compression leaving a fuel issue. These tests will determine what part of the fuel system is the issue. Now it is possible you have an ignition issue at high speed. But I will need the engine serial number to be sure. The stator has a low and a high speed coil on some models. We could have an ignition issue at high speed. This will require a timing light to find this issue if the fuel tests check good.