Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1998 Mercruiser 5.7 Bravo III with Commander 3000

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Mercruiser 5.7 Bravo III with Commander 3000 Panel Mount Remote Control Shift/trims/safety. For 2 years it might start or not - no start means no crank or any sound at all, but gages are active when key is on. Warning horn may or may not sound off. By playing with the wires under the dash or shifting, it might crank or might not. If I can get it started, It probably starts for the rest of the day on the lake. And if it cranks now, it might not crank at all the next day. It seems that trailering the boat might change whether it cranks or not. I have replaced the Starter, 2 solonoids and ignition switch - and have the same problem. Nobody seems to be able to diagnose the problem because when I bring it in, believe it or not, it starts.
1. What do you suggest or how can I get the problem diagnosed???
2. Should I replace the Commander 3000? Roughly what is the estimated cost for parts and for installation to replace the Comm 3000?
3. If it is not the Comm 3000, what is the next probable problem?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? When it won't start, have you tried wiggling the shifter back and forth, rocking it on and off it's neutral position?