Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

Joe, marine mech. what you said anout checking voltgage and

Customer Question

joe, marine mech. what you said anout checking voltgage and batt. i'll do, but would any of that stop my kohler gen. while it was running? It was running for over an hour, then just shut down. The crank turns, nothing set up.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Hello again and good morning,
Yes it could be related. First step is to check the things I mentioned which will help us narrow down the problem.
Clicking is usually an indication of one of the things I mentioned above. And don't worry, you can reply back to me at any time for further assistance.
Thanks,
Joe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the starter and its bad. I have a new one , haven't put it in yet. After I get it in , I'll see if it turns over. One thing I found when I removed the crank cover, the I guess its the magneto, was really rust covered. I cleaned it rfeal good. could that be why it shut down on its own? Any way, I can't get to it until this weekend. If you have anything to help, just let me know.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Rust is an cause off oxidation from moisture and air, this means that that area has been or is getting wet. Make sure to clean as best you can and try to prevent further moisture intrusion such as replacing a gasket is so equipped.
If the unit lost spark/ignition then yes it could be related, you would need to inspect the area for damage to the components and once the new starter is in could proceed with further testing.
Thanks,
Joe