Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

86 Evinrude 300 xp lower unit is leaking gear oil from around

Customer Question

86 Evinrude 300 xp lower unit is leaking gear oil from around the o rings on the prop shaft bearing carrier. Manual says remove the two retaing screws and retainers and use a puller on the cross webs in the casting to pull out the carrier. I put a lot of pressure on the cross webs and its not budgging. I'm affraid its going to break the casting. My concern is that it looks like it might be threaded into the lower unit. Could the manual be wrong . Thanks, ***** *****
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Carl, my name is Jason.
The manual is correct. The problem you are having is the carrier is corroded into the housing of the lower unit on the inside. The only real way to get that out is first drain the oil. And then you have to head the sides of the lower unit with an oxy/acetylene torch until both sides are glowing red hot. Let it cool just enough for the red to go away, and then start pulling it. By heating the lower unit that expands the lower unit by 1/2 to 1mm, just enough to give the carrier enough room to pull past the corrosion.
Does that all make sense? If yes, did you have any further questions on the issue?
-Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the start and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason