Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I replaced the impeller on a 1979 merc, and am attempting to

Customer Question

I replaced the impeller on a 1979 merc, and am attempting to adjust the shift cables per instructions on youtube video. First step was to put it into forward. It doesn't seem to want to go into forward. Also, the second step was to adjust the brass nut to be 6" from the center of the hole at the end of cable, but the closest I can get it to before the threads run out is 6.125".
Category: Boat
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** can't get it into forward by shifting manually, you have a problem with either the cable or the lower unit.It's possible that you have the lower unit installed with the shift-shaft out by one tooth.Remove the drive, put the boat in forward gear, put the drive in forward gear, the shift link on the drive should be facing forward.If it isn't, you need to separate the drive and make the shift link face forward when you put the upper and lower units together.Hope this helps