Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1999 175hp carbed Johnson. The engine starts fine

Customer Question

I have a 1999 175hp carbed Johnson. The engine starts fine when following the starting procedure - turn key on but do not crank, pump ball hard, push key in for a count of 8 to prime and then crank. However, it seems to run the primer fuel out and then quits. Any suggestions on what could cause the problem?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
I don't quite follow you. What do you mean by "seems to run the primer fuel out and then quits" What exactly is it doing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It runs for less than a minute, starts sputtering, spitting and then shuts off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is Joe.Forgot to add that I check the fuel filter and it was fine.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joe. Have you tried pumping the primer bulb to force fuel to the engine? Are you near the boat now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not near the boat now. I'm at work.I tried pumping the ball just before it would stop running and it didn't help. Still died. I may have waited too long though.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
When do you think you can get back to it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will not be there until Saturday morning.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
There are so many different possiblites. Do you want to start by pumping the bulb over and over and over, as soon as you start it, and let me know if it stays running or not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I'll try that Saturday.How do I contact you next week?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joe. Just reply back here at any time. Log back into the website with your username and password, and then on the upper right click "my questions", and that will get you back to here.