Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My volvo penta 5,7 Gxi FF doesent seem to get up to the

Customer Question

Hi! My volvo penta 5,7 Gxi FF doesent seem to get up to the right running temperature (only aprox. 50 degrees C). But the top of the thermostat housing itself gets very hot! I have changed the thermotstat and the heat exchanger and can't figure out now what the problem could be?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Have you taken the engines temperature manually by scanning the thermostat housing with an IR temp gun?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi! Eivind here! No - no IR. But i have checked with another temperature gauge that gave the same result - so it seems to be correct. (And thankyou for your quike respons!)
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Elvind. If the engine feels hot but the gauge reads cold then it's more than likely just a bad engine temperature sensor. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any further questions on the issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi! In a wat yes - but I have changed the temp sensor and when touching the engineblock about 50 degrees seems to be right. The puzzle is why the the engine ssems to cold and at the same time the thermostat housing seems to hot (?)
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The only way that can happen is if water is leaking past the thermostat. Did you change it with the correct thermostat, what was the part number on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry - havn't got the part number on it here but i bought at the local volvo penta shop so it should be the right one. Can there in any way be an airpocket in the top og the thermostat housing - og air pockets antwhere else in the system ?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Not really, any air would be purge itself out. I don't have any ideas other than a bad thermostat.