Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

1997 Evinrude 200 HP Oceanrunner out board motor. The gas ball

Customer Question

1997 Evinrude 200 HP Oceanrunner out board motor. The gas ball keeps losing prime and the motor shuts down.Motor will restart and idle and will putt along but will not go back up on plain.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** you replaced the primer bulb? These primer bulb have 2 check valves if the check valves are bad it will loose prime.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not ,but watching video's they suggested also making sure the the bulb is in an upright position towards the carburetors
Yours thoughts ?.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
If the primer bulb was installed backwards the engine would not get fuel at all. The arrow points towards the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand that,but this one video claims the ball should be in a vertical position. I doubt thats the issue. I'm going to purchase a new ball primer and hope that works.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
That is only for priming on initial start up. It doesn't have to mounted in that position. That just makes the check valves work better.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Has the position of the primer bulb made any difference in the past? Why all of a sudden unless the primer bulb is bad?