Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

John here. I have a 1997 90HP Merc, oil injected. Last outing, my tack dropped to zero

Customer Question

Hi, John here. I have a 1997 90HP Merc, oil injected. Last outing, my tack dropped to zero, and looks like battery not charging. I read earlier post saying it is a rectifier/regulator. Which does mine have, and what does it look like. How much will someone charge to fix that?
Another question: Under the bonnet, I have a 4 wire harness coming from up front to the motor. I noticed a blue wire with white strip and a bare end on it. I have no idea where this wire should go. It must have came out of somewhere, but I can't find out where.
Thanks
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** charging system consists of stator rectifier regulator and a battery. Now to fine the problem you will be charged 1 hour labor at the rate in your area. To replace just the rec/reg you are looking at about 1/2 hour labor plus the part. Then if the stator is bad 1 hour labor to R&R the stator plus the part. Now I can give you prices on the parts but I will need the engine serial number. The blue/white wire is for the trim this will be coming from the trim switch going to the trim relays. Does the trim work?