Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 4-stroke 40 h.p. Mercury outboard than was running

Customer Question

I have a 4-stroke 40 h.p. Mercury outboard than was running nicely for some 15-20 minutes while I was checking the cable contacts for my baler pump, when the motor simply died; at the same time I noticed that the lights would not light, the pump would not worker and the power lift on the motor wouldn't work. I've been advised that the motor simply "siezed up"; I have trouble with that diagnosis and have suggested that I may have ignition problems. It's a brand new, fully charged battery, but it seems more like an electrical problem than a seizure. The marina refuses to adress the problem. What do you think?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
If the engine was running, and I cut off all of the cables to the engine, and unbolted the engine, and threw it to the bottom of the ocean the lights, the horns, the pumps, the powerlift would all still work, as they are completely separate from the engine.
You have the sypmtoms of a bad or dead battery. Has it been load tested?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello. it looks like you read my reply and logged off. Was this something you still needed help with?