Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Have a 1980 260 OMC engine in a chris craft boat. Will idle

Customer Question

Have a 1980 260 OMC engine in a chris craft boat. Will idle out fine. Can take up to about 3300 RPM and will run good for about 20 minutes then RPM starts to die. Take bake to an idle and will stall. Let sit for about 1/2 hour and will start right up as if nothing wrong. Have changed wirs points rotor cap rebuilt carb. Put stuff in for water and eithanal although swears don't use eithanal. I even changed Water separator filtre. Can't think of anything else to check or change.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
I see a long list of items in there but have you replaced the ignition coil yet, as the coil would produce those symptoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes have replaced engine coil. Old one was heating up. Also Will see droplets of water on back of carburetor.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Gotcha. Now when it stalls and will not restart. Have you checked for spark with a timing light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
haven't tried the timing light when down. Have been looking at it as a fuel issue. Removed breather and last time after sitting for a while. Moved throttle and fuel shot into carb through needle valves at top of carb. Tried engine and started right up. Engine itself not overheated (running at 140-150)and could put hand on carb so don't think heat is an issue. Could fuel pump be an issue. I see it has a vacuum line from carb to top of fuel pump.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Is there any fuel in that vacuum line that you are seeing, or is it dry?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vacuum line was dry. At least I did not see any fuel in line at all.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If that line was dry then chances are the fuel pump itself is fine. When the pumps diaphram tears there would be fuel in that line, which would cause a flood at idle condition. So at this point you would need to do 3 things. Duplicated the problem, and then after that 1. check for spark with a timing light.If nothing2. disconnect the tachometer signal wire (typically gray) and try again.if nothing3. Measure for voltage on the ignition coils positive terminal with both the key turned to run. And then again with the engine cranking over. And record both numbers. Is that something you can do and get back to me on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can do that but will take me a day. I'm couple hours away from boat and can't get down until later in evening this week.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
No problem, there are no time limits here. Post back once you have some results and we can go from there.-Jason