Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Our 2015 Yamaha vrx waver-runner started taking on water after

Customer Question

Our 2015 Yamaha vrx waver-runner started taking on water after the recommended break in procedure. The unit has a total 4.5'hours on it. This was the first time in the water. What could be wrong with this brand new water craft? Please help.
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your inquiry.I am happy to help you diagnose your Wave Runner taking on water but in fairness to you, I wonder why you don't return it to the dealer and make them fix it, since it should be in warranty?Perhaps it is not for some reason. If that is so, here is what I would do to find the water leak.First, I would determine when it is leaking. Does it leak just sitting in the water or does it leak when the engine is running.It could be a problem with a through hull fitting or the bond line between the hull and deck that is allowing water into the craft.If it only takes on water when the engine is running, it probably has a leak in a cooling line. This is fairly easy to find. Either leave the ski on a trailer strapped down and back it into the water and start it up or tie the stern to a dock so you can run the engine without any danger of running into something while you are looking under the seat at the engine. Rev the engine a little and look for spraying water. If there is a leak in the cooling system, you will see the water spraying out from the source.If it takes on water while sitting unused, then the way to find this is to get the ski out of the water, either on a trailer or davit and fill the ski with water until the pump tunnel is under water. If you do this on a trailer you can elevate the front of the trailer so it takes less water to cover the through hull fittings and get up to the bond line. If you do it on a davit, it is a bit trickier because of the difficulty in elevating the bow. Make sure the underside of the ski is bone dry so you can see the first traces of water and where it is coming from.Check that out and let me know what you find.ThanksRSRBOB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the help. We are on vacation for two weeks at the lake and wanted to trouble shoot before I take it back to the dealer. I'm 50 miles away from nearest authorized dealer.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Fair enough.The information I provided covers about 90% of all problems related to taking on water.Are you going to be able to perform the tests I suggested?If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.ThanksRSRBOB