Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Tan, I have a pair of Yamaha 225HP 4stroke engines (2003) on

Customer Question

Tan, I have a pair of Yamaha 225HP 4stroke engines (2003) on a 2003 Pursuit WA2870. The starboard trim / hydraulic is leaking. It originally only failed at the high speed up mode (engines out of water, but I believe that using the low speed (in the water) trim has pumped the oil out, so now it wont even trim (move) up or down. Is there a valve/gasket kit for this? Have I damaged the hydraulics by leaking salt water into system? Who are the reputable repair sites on Cape Cod near Falmouth, MA?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Where is the leak around the center ram or the 2 short rams?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I believe the leak is around the center (high speed) ram, but after using lower speed rams, neither system is working. Probably forced much of oil out of system through leak in high speed cylinder.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok the difference in the rams are the center ram is for tilt the shorter rams are for trim. This is a case where the trim unit has to be removed and the seals replaced. This is the only fix. This is really something the dealer needs to do as it takes special tools to get the seal carriers out and replaced. This has to be done in a very clean area so you don't get contaminants into the hydraulics. Post back with questions. Thank you.Tan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tan, am I doing any damage to the hydraulics by leaving the boat in the water?

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Not anymore than usual. The only issue that might be an issue is if the leak on the rams are submerged under water. If fluid can leak out water can leak in this will cause damage.