Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a yamaha 25 four stroke,connected the battery up the

Customer Question

I have a yamaha 25 four stroke,connected the battery up the wrong way ,engine running ok but have lost 12volt supply to my instruments ,found an in line fuse under the consol which was blown 10 amp replaced it but still no power cable goes back into a loom which goes into the engine need help Thanks
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? What is the model number on the engine? Is it remote control with a keyswitch, or tiller control?Have you checked the fuses on the engine yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** dont have access to the model number as I am away from home at the moment
It does have a turn switch on and has a tiller control both of which are working
Checked one fuse on the engine ok are there more
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Seamus. The person that wired this boat could have wired it a variety of different ways. If wired to factory specs, yellow should be the color of the wire on the back of the gauges for power. Can you look at that and tell me if that is correct. And if it is, trace the yellow wire back, where does it connect to? Also, do you have a meter or test light, and do you know how to take basic voltage measurements?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jason,
The yellow is not connected as this is power after the ignition switch Im on a red wire which gives me power to my instruments all the time ,The boat is an ORKNEY 520 and was factory wired.I really need to know if there would be any other hidden fuses,I wont be able to check the boat again until the weekend.