Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

1994 40 HP Evinrude. Occasionally will die when moving from

Customer Question

1994 40 HP Evinrude.
Occasionally will die when moving from neutral into gear. Starts right back up when you turn it on, but requires a fair amount of throttle so it wont quit.
I checked and replaced seals in carb, changed all lower unit seals, cans for gas are vented.
What are somethings I should check?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you.Next thing to check are the reed valves. Remove the carbs and check for any bro***** *****s as if one is broken it will act that way. Noel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i will check that and get back to you. my dad was thinking that the idle was set to low when it gets in the water, could that be a problem. engine works fine when we are flushing it out on the driveway but when we put it into gear in the water is when the problem starts. if i keep it a 5mph it doesnt die
Ok if that is the case then yes you could increase slightly the idling as if it is too low it will kill the engine. If by increasing slightly the throttle eliminates the problem then most probably it is low idling speed. Noel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. ill check the reeds and ill get back to u
ok but first start with increasing slightly the idling as it may eliminate the problem Noel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So we opened up the idle to the manufacturer reCommended 2 turs. It ran better but still dies... Open it up more or check reeds?
You can try open it a little bit more it will not do any harm, if it does not do any improvement check the reeds. Noel