Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Trying to figure out my steering. Last time I took the boat

Customer Question

Trying to figure out my steering. Last time I took the boat out steering worked fine but towards the end of the day it would only turn right and not left. Turned the motor off and would turn both ways with ease.....
Category: Boat
Expert:  Yachtwork replied 1 year ago.
I think you are low on hydraulic fluid for the steering. This then causes air to get into the system and it will turn in both directions when not in use because there is no load on the steering system, BUT when you are running the prop thrust tries to turn the boat to the right anyway, thus it takes very little steering effort. So, go to the steering wheel, and on the back side of the steering wheel shaft is a small box that is filled with hydraulic fluid, most likely ATF/Dextron II. Make sure it is topped off, then turn the wheel both directions, lock to lock a few times, and refill. Do this a few more times and see if that solves the problem. If so then keep on eye on the oil level and if the level goes down again then you know you have a leak to trace out. If not it may have just been getting old and seeped a little over a long time and a top off will do the trick.Thanks Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hydraulic oil level at the pump seemed to be fine and I have nothing under the steering wheel that I can see. I started the boat yesterday and seems to be working fine again. Could it be the oil thinning do to temps? But if it was, it should be doing it in both directions....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This site is ridiculous. Takes forever to get an answer and little knowledge shown