Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

We did an engine swap in our boat from A 5.0 TO a 5.7 and

Customer Question

we did an engine swap in our boat from A 5.0 TO a 5.7 and now the motor turns over but wont fire
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we used the factory wire harness on the new motor and everything hooked up the same, the only things we are missing right now would be things like the oil temp and water temp. but just trying to turn the motor over for maybe 30 sec, the coil is getting kinda hot as is the possitve mattery cable
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
I do not have the engine info so I do not know if this is fuel injected or carbureted.
Please pull the distributor cap and while cranking check if the dist rotor is turning, if so please confirm that engine was set at tdc when distributor installed and if so check if getting trigger pulse to coil from the ignition module. You can test your trigger pulse via a test light on the neg of the ignition coil while cranking the light should pulse, if not then your missing the trigger pulse.
If fuel injected I would need to know as there are other things in play.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.