Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

I have a 56 jhonson outboard 10 hp that will run for

Customer Question

hello I have a 56 jhonson outboard 10 hp that will run for an hour straight in a bucket but as soon as I take it on the water it cuts out soon after giving it throttle
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have modified the engine to run with a fuel pump rather than a pressure tank with 2 lines I do notice bubbles getting in the fuel line but doesn't seem to go into the bowl I did an almost total rebuild of the carb only thing I didn't change was the little silver knock out cap over the idle adjustment screw
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
The fuel system doesn't know if it is in a bucket or the ocean. However when you put it in the lake or river it is under a full load. Some things you may want to look at; is the idle too low? raise the idle speed.Is the carb too lean. There is a lot of leeway with the mixture adjustments, try richening the idle mixture first. Many times the best idle is also too lean, sometimes you have to run on the rich side to get it to take any throttle.Check the timing to the carbs. By this I mean the timing must advance before the carb begins to open. If not it will stall. Just look at the magneto plate under the engine and see if it moves almost full advance before the carb opens. If not you have a linkage problem.Make sure you have good compression and check, replace, the spark plugs. The old motors were bad about carbon fouling the spark plugs.Do these things and post back your results to each so we can narrow down the problem.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi is there anything else I can help you with on this?Please don't forget to rate my service to you. Thanks