Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Having a hard time getting Johnson 7.5hp motor to turn ove

Customer Question

Having a hard time getting Johnson 7.5hp motor to turn over
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** get the engine model number please? Is the engine hard to turn over or it won't fire off as in no spark? Won't turn over tells me the the flywheel isn't moving.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure where to find model NumberIt is a 7.5 JohnsonFlywheel will turn when I pull the pull start
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok do you have a way to check for spark? This requires a spark gap tester. We need to find out if you have spark or not. Try disconnecting the stop switch will the engine start? The engine model number will be on the port motor clamp bracket.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model is JSRCS8
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a spark gap testerIs there another way to test the spark plug
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Try disconnecting the stop switch or the black/yellow wire going in to the power pack # ***** You will have to pull the wire pin out of the plug. Lube the wire with wd40 and pull the wire out if the plug. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1980/J8RCSS/MAGNETO%20-%207.5/parts.html Will engine start? Your engine is a 1980.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1980/J8RCSS/MAGNETO%20-%207.5/parts.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled the start/stop switch but motor still will not start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tired to start it with the switch disconnected and connected
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Pull the spark plugs out are they wet with fuel? If no squirt some fuel in the cylinders replace plugs will engine pop of fire at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I squired "dry and go" or "liquid fire" in the spark plug hole?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Plugs look wet and kind of black
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
No that will evaporate to fast. Squirt it in to the carburetor air box then try cranking. Do they smell like gas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They smell like gasI can not get Quick start into carb as there is s black manifold in front of the inlet and even with it off I can not get into the carb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to try to find some sand paper to clean plus
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Spray the start fluid on the plugs that will clean them good enough. On the air box is an opening where the air goes in to the carb. Spray the fluid in their.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
In this diagram spray fluid in areas circled in red. Remove the rubber grommet # ***** and spray around the idle jet adjustment rod sticking out the front of carb.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed part 29 and have pulled the Rich Lean adjustment and will spray QS in that hole
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
We just want to see if it fires. It doesn't have to run. We don't want engine to run on start fluid. There is no oil in the start fluid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started for 5 seconds but does not run
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok the carburetor is clogged up not allowing fuel to the combustion chamber. Remove the carburetor, disassemble, clean and install carb kit. We know we have spark now as it did fire telling us we have no fuel. Leaving the only thing it could be the carburetor. Here is a link to the carb repair kit. # ***** http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/parts/43700.cfm?mdl=7V6VDP Post back if you need further assistance. Thank you.......Tan
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Here is another source. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1980/J8RCSS/CARBURETOR-7.5/parts.html
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Please don't forget to positively rate me as that is the only way I get paid for helping you....
Thank you.............Tan