Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Installing starter in yamaha 1200 skie won t slide in , is

Customer Question

installing starter in yamaha 1200 skie won t slide in , is there a trick
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.There are teeth on the end of the starter motor shaft that do have to align with the starter clutch mechanism. If they are not in alignment, the starter will not slide into place. My suggestion would be to turn the starter motor shaft ever so slightly and try re-installing it. The nose cone also has to slide into the bore in the cases, but that should be fairly easy to accomplish. You should definitely put grease on the outside of the nose cone where it goes into the cases to not only ease installation but prevent corrosion in the future.If that doesn't help, then I would need to know are you trying to do this with the engine in the boat and the exhaust still in place or is the engine out?Thanks,RSRBOBBTW, is it a genuine OEM Yamaha starter from Yamaha or an aftermarket starter?