Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2008 Four Winns Cabin Cruiser, 28 foot, model V288

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Four Winns Cabin Cruiser, 28 foot, model V288 with Twin 250 Mercruiser engines it will not go up on plane. Reaches 2800 rpms and stops like it is controlled by a governor. I am last told by a third mechanic that it is a design problem and the engines are undersized for the size and weight of the boat. (9500 lbs) any thoughts, history, experience or ideas on this? Thanks RHM
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi RHM, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.
There are no governors on the engine. If the engines are not hitting at least 4400 rpms with the boat at top speed the engines are not making full horsepower, and they will need to be troubleshot in order to figure out why. There is no design defect or anything like that.
That being said, your offer was on the low side indicating that you did not require much detail. Did you have any further questions on this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had the engines serviced twice. I know there is no governor, but it reaches 2800 rpms consistently and will not accelerate beyond. This is really not helpful. RHM
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Did you not have any further questions?