Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a 1998 Maximum with a bravo three and 7.4L, I just install a TBI system from afford

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Maximum with a bravo three and 7.4L, I just install a TBI system from affordable fuel injection. Engine runs great, but it takes a while for the idle to drop. At high idle (1200 rpm)I can hear some clunking or grinding near the outdrive in neutral. I shift forward and reverse and the grinding goes away. The shift cable is set at 7". I am not sure if that is correct. I put my hand on the outdrive and I can fell the drive vibrate. Is it the idle cause the grinding?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
AFI makes systems for on and offroad vehicles, they do not make marine systems and are not meant for boats, with that said you may very likely suffer from performance issues running this on a boat. The ecm's are also meant to not be in weather nor marine environment, unless an weatherproof one is ordered but it is still not meant for marine. A vehicle system is going to have a completely different powerband it is meant for vs marine.
It sounds like you may also need to make a slight adjustment to the leg/drive cable.
It should idle in neutral around 600 rpms.
The idle issue is most likely the ecm being programmed for a vehicle engine operation.
Even if the system were designed to work (programming and etc) in a boat, none of it is coast guard approved equipment and per say not allowed.
Unfortunately in the end you will need an marine fuel injection system, be it tbi, efi, mpi etc. They are completely different than these automotive systems and are made to correctly operate in your boat engine/on the water where as the auto version is not. I am of course keeping it simple and can go if wanted into great detail on why this system will not work on your boat engine, if so please let me know and I can explain further. The idle issue is related to it being a fuel inj system for cars and is only a drop in the bucket of problems you will run into. With all due respect.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.