Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Have 1998 yamaha XL1200 , water temp warning still going off.

Customer Question

Hi , Have 1998 yamaha XL1200 , water temp warning still going off.
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your inquiry.The first thing we have to determine is whether or not the engine is truly getting hot or if it is a false signal.If this problem showed up just after the ski was repaired for the oil line coming off, there is a chance they did not plug the sensor back in to the connector leading to the ECM.The sensor itself is on the exhaust pipe right before the pipe goes through the bulkhead at the back of the engine compartment. It is NOT the one that is on the top of the pipe with the wire coming through the plastic shield. That is the exhaust temp sensor.Find the sensor on the pipe at the location described and find the wire coming out of it. It should continue basically straight up to the left side of the electrical box and plug in right alongside the sensor wire coming from the Exhaust sensor.If the wire is plugged in and the engine truly is getting hot, you have a cooling line restriction. In that case, I suggest separating the cooling line at the Y connector where the flush hose adpater meets up with the cooling line. Remove the line coming from the back of the boat and attempt to blow air through it. It should flow air just as easy as blowing through a straw. It is fairly easy to suck up sand or a shell or rocks off the bottom of the lake if there is ever less than 24" of water between the jet intake and the bottom of the lake.Take a look at those items and let me know if you need more help.Thanks,RSRBOB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for reply , The sensor must be pluged in because digital readout reads 251 on water temp when warning goes off .
I have plenty of power and water is squrting out pee hole on back as for the blockage , what could be other possibltys to the issue ?Thanks ,,, Tim
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.What is the digital readout for the temp you are referring to? Is this not a USA model? In the US, they did not come with actual digital temp gauges, just warnings of when it is too hot. The sensor I described on US models does not provide any temp readings at all. It is either sending no signal or sending a signal saying it is too hot.Thanks,RSRBOBPS, if it is getting up to 251, it is overheating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its US model , I'm not positive on the readout being the temp. thats the number that shows when it hits the temp warning goes off
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.I don't know where that number is ***** from or what it is. Yamaha did not have any sort of digital temp readout so I am at a loss on that one.I revert to my previous suggestion of blowing the cooling line out backwards and paying attention to see if anything comes out of the line.When the warning goes off, does the engine appear to be hot? Normally, the engine would feel very warm to the touch, but no where near hot enough to burn you. If you aren't sure how hot it is, DO NOT touch it, but get your hand wet and sprinkle water on to the cylinder head or exhaust pipe and see if it sizzles. If it does, it is HOT. You also might have sand inside the water jacket of the exhaust pipe too, but lets confirm whether it is hot or not before going down that street.ThanksRSRBOB