Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I am trying to find out how to lubricate the steering cable

Customer Question

I am trying to find out how to lubricate the steering cable of my 2002 Volvo penta SX outdrive
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? The only greasing on the steering cable would be where it enters the guide tube on the power steering rack. What you would do is remove the clevis pin on the end of the steering cable. Then undo the big nut that the steering cable attaches to the guide tube with. Pull it out. Clean up any corrosion. Grease the cable end. And then push it back in. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason,
Yes, makes perfect sense. Completed a couple days ago. Hope to get on the water and see if it makes a difference. Steering has gotten progressively worse over the last few years, as it seems sticky, particularly when turning to port. Hopefully this will help.
Thank you,
Marc
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome Marc. Keep in mind cables are wear and tear items, and they do eventually wear out. So if it isn't much better then it would be time for a new cable. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the start and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I noticed no rating has been done yet so I'm just checking in to see if you had any further questions on the issue. If there was anything else feel free to ask.
Thanks,
Jason