Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a 115 tldi. Changed the fuel filter last night after

Customer Question

I have a 115 tldi. Changed the fuel filter last night after it sputtered and would not start. Immediately started and idled so put back in the water and it sputtered and died and would not start again. Ideas?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brand name is***** there a second fuel filter? Also, when it didn't start used starting fluid and it turned over but wouldn't stay running
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
You should have a fuel filter in line on the engine before the carbs, on the boat there should be an fuel/water separator filter (if installed). The fact it starts and stalls on starting fluid is a good test, but do not continue to do so.... this indicates a lack of fuel. Check fuel in filter and if low your having a problem with flow to the carbs, if full and it stays full then the problem is usually with the carbs and in most cases is just a rebuild and cleaning of the carbs to resolve the problem, but they need to be inspected to be sure that is the only problem. This does not mean it is the carbs, the fuel needs to be tested to see if getting to the carbs first, if getting to the carbs then carb problem is suspected.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.