Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

1970s Electric shift not working no parts ava. I have been

Customer Question

1970s Electric shift not working no parts ava. I have been told you can use a 3 way on off switch. can you tell me how to wire it.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Depends on which lower unit you have but most of them were spring loaded to forward, so in forward gear there would be no power to the lower unit. Neutral there would be power to the blue wire and for reverse there would be power to both the blue and green wires.Use a double pole double throw switch. There will be 6 terminals. 12 volts go to the two center terminals. Blue will go to a single terminal on one side this gives you neutral.blue and green go to the terminals opposite the blue. So blue will be at both ends. Green only one end.Hope this makes sense to you.Here is a diagram from "OMC Joe" use the one on the right.https://www.dropbox.com/s/jy3bg45zckzd0m0/HydroShiftSwitch.jpg?dl=0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could not open your answer. Yes you are right the motor failed in the forward gear,a 3 way switch would apply power to reverse and then, neutral
My question is how to wire it. Please Help.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Try this link;https://www.dropbox.com/s/jy3bg45zckzd0m0/HydroShiftSwitch.jpg?dl=0Let me try to resend it, even I'm having problems opening it.Did you understand my written description?
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Lets see if this works.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Use the diagram on the right
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi is there anything else I can help you with on this?Please don't forget to rate my service to you. Thanks