Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I am getting too much fuel. I have had the carb rebuilt and

Customer Question

I am getting too much fuel. I have had the carb rebuilt and there is still too much fuel. I tested the output of the fuel pump and it was appx 7PSI and with the gauge on, the pump never stopped. what stops the fuel from pumping other than the needle and seat? Is there a pressure senor in the lift pump? How does the gas shutoff solenoid work? is this just for when the engine stops?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
The needle and seat, the float pushes on the needle as the fuel fills and pushes the needle into the seat closing it off when full and fuel not being used. If from here the pump keeps running it means that the pump cannot maintain pressure, this can be internal pump check valve, leak in the lines or the actual carb, if carb you will have fuel coming out of the carb with pump running esp.
It is just a shutoff solenoid and to prevent fuel flow when not needed (engine not running, low oil pressure, etc) it would not cause the problem of the fuel pump continuing to run.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.