Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My 1995 yahmaha waveraider 1100 was running fine and just stopped.

Customer Question

My 1995 yahmaha waveraider 1100 was running fine and just stopped. A mechanic told me I should replace the CDI and stator. A comment in a PWC chat group said oil had effected I think it was the stator. These little parts can cost 100's. I recently put on a used starter switch. That could be the problem, too. I have always though two things don't break at the same time. The mechanic said sometimes one problem can cause other problem. What do you think? Is there someone in the DMV who can check these parts and my craft? I want a second opinion!
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no answer. I think you don't have an answer.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your inquiry.I have a great deal of experience on the Wave Raider 1100. We need to start gathering hard data and an excellent place to start is to confirm whether spark is the issue or not. The starter switch itself will not cause the ski to quit. However, if you replaced the switch housing assembly and the engine stop switch was replaced, it could be a factor. As you can tell from that observation, we must be very cautious about being too general in our descriptions. Since I can't see and touch what you are working on, I am totally dependent on you to provide accurate information and feedback so I don't waste your time by responding to bad information. Until we determine whether it is spark, a mechanical issue or fuel issue, we can't move on to possible causes and diagnostic procedures to determine the resolution.Although on some occasions, one electrical failure can cause another, they are rather rare, so at this point, worrying about that is a bit premature.ThanksRSRBOB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am irritated that after I typed a lot of intel and feed back, I saw "Rather talk than type?" Fearing that if I hit the send button I may lose the "call me" button. After I decided to hit the call me button I tried to come back to hit the send button and all my feed back was gone. You need to fix that like, "are you sure you want to leave this page, your data will be lost" or automatically save or send or some notification that my data might be lost. If your service and technicians are as capable as you claim you must have the software to make it work. I'm pissed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would expect you to initiate a troubleshooting sequence. I gave quite a bit of intel that you did not respond to. At this point we can probably narrow the problem down to fuel or more likely ignition. You ended your feedback taking me back to square 1. You left me hanging. You need to tell me something more substantive or ask me something. The ball is in your court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
I am happy to help you any way I can.RSRBOB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You guys aren't all that you say you are. It takes days and not minutes for me to get a reply and when you do you really don't say much that was worthwhile. Either replay or refund.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant reply
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
I am happy to help you but to be able to do that, you have to work with me. I do appreciate the fact that you provided information, but in reading it, you are taking someone else's word for it. Any experienced technician is going to investigate for themselves where the problem is, and that is where you and I need to start. We could go into great detail about taking the carbs apart, inspecting them and reinstalling them, with proper settings and adjustment procedures, only to find the original problem still exists.One other point is that as an expert on the list, we have no knowledge of what you are seeing from them. I dedicate various time when I am off work to check the list and see if there is anything that needs response. I don't know of any experts that sit here 24/7 watching the list waiting for someone to need their reply. The norm as I view it is I get a response once a day from customers. We devise a diagnostic plan of attack, then when they get a chance, they implement that plan and either solve their problem or come back with test results for further consideration.An efficient diagnostic procedure is methodical and logical. It takes nothing for granted. In this forum, it is totally dependent on cooperation of the customer answering the questions the tech asks so the diagnosis and repair process are streamlined and not a lot of time is wasted on a wild goose chase.Confirming whether you do or do not have spark is about the easiest task you will be asked to perform in this process. If you are unwilling to do that for me, then I will gladly opt out and wish you luck with another expert. The choice is yours at this point. I need to know we are headed in the right direction based on what we see, not what someone else's "thinks" is ok or wrong.RSRBOB
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Something more substantive.Remove all 3 spark plugs. Lay them on the cylinder head, AWAY from the spark plug holes.Install the lanyard in the safety switch and crank the engine.Observe all 3 spark plugs and tell me what you see.If there is no spark and the spark plugs you are using are not brand new, re-test with brand new, out of the box, never been run or installed in the ski spark plugs and re-test.RSRBOB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I will run your test. I did see one plug pulled and there was no fire. Will be in touch. Can CDI's and stators be tested?
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I am confident that with your perserverence and my experience we can get your ski fixed up in no time.Yes, there are tests for both the stator and CDI.One other thing which could help us too. When you look at where the coil leads come out of the electrical box, do you see a chrome T shaped piece of metal running from around the coil wires to the cylinder head? Yamaha did this as an update after these units were out in the marketplace as a counter measure for premature CDI box failures. They determined that the design of the electric box allowed for too much vibration which contributed to the premature failures. If you don't have the T, the CDI box becomes very suspect. If you do have the T, then not so much.ThanksRSRBOBPS, here is a parts diagram that shows the T I am talking about. It is reference #52.http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/riva_normal/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=yamahapwc&a=43&b=13&c=0&d=1995%20WAVE%20RAIDER%201100%20ELECTRICAL%201