Michael
Michael, Master Mechanic
Experience:  Over 25 years experience working on everything from PWC's to Mega Yachts
6854667

1994 fourwinns 190 throttle control will not shift into gear. 'SAFETY'

Customer Question

1994 fourwinns 190 throttle control will not shift into gear.
'SAFETY' realse is free/not engaging. How to fix?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi My name is Michael, I will help you with you Fourwinns shifting problem.. Can you tell me where you are located and what is a good time talk on the phone if you still want to use this service? Otherwise We I can try to help you here.Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to disable the throttle and found the problem. A plast piece which locks the throttle in neutral broke. Once removed, everything works fine. My problem now is finding a replacement part. Any suggestions. It is a 93 OMC throttle on a 93 fourwinns. I can send a pictureifneeded
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Is the control in the diagram the same as yours? If so was it part #23 that broke? If your control is different then please attac a photo. Mike
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hello, do you still need help with your control lever?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
I can help you find this part for your control if you tell me if it's the same one in the diagram that I posted a link to...
If this info is not helpful to you then I can request a refund of your deposit.
Otherwise we are not credited for our time if you do not respond.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Would you like me to submit a refund request for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is part #55.I was able to find a replacement online (this time made of aluminum). The problem now is reassembling as unfortunately the part is slightly different.Do you have a wiring diagram assembly for the outboard trim. Not sure how it is supposed to run when everything is assembled. i.e the wires jab and cause friction with the new part.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
I'm not exactly sure why you are using this service...I would like to have helped you with this... I responded to your question and excepted your offer for the phone conversation but you never gave your contact info or when I could call you. Then I posted a diagram of your throttle/shift control (which I am very familiar with) and asked you if it was the correct control and if the part I described was the one that broke.... 10 days late you still had not responded, when I asked if you wanted me to submit a refund you responded saying that you had found the part online (my guess, through the link that I sent you).
I know these controllers and what fails on them and could have helped you right away had you replied back.
I cannot continue to spend time with you if you are not acknowledging that I am helping you. This is an honor based system so it's up to you how you wish to proceed. If my info was not helpful then i would be happy to request a full refund of your deposit.
Sincerely,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your assumptions are not correct. Your response were not timely and I did not use your diagram to order the part. I found it online. I only have access to the boat on the weekends. I payed for the service and would like to utilize it.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
You have not paid for this service yet, you only posted a deposit which is refundable if you are not satisfied with my answer, which evidently you were not.I can help you with this but you need to understand how our system works so that you are not disappointed..... When you post a question in the boat category, it is presented to a board of experts in that category.... We try to choose questions from the list that we have experience with, so when a question is not answered for a day or two it is because all of the experts have not seen it yet or do not have the expertise in that area to be of help to you. As soon as I saw your question I responded asking where you where located and when I could call you... You did not respond with an answer. Then when I asked again if the diagram that I posted was correct or if you still needed help, you did not respond. Had you responded in a timely matter to my question, you would have had your answer within minutes but you choose to ignore me and take it upon yourself to find your part....So, given that, how would you like to proceed? Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just looking to fix my boat. I stated above how I'd like to proceed. If you have a wiring diagram that can help me assemble the throttle control, great. if not just let me know.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
If the wires are jamming it is because they are not routed correctly... in this case a wiring diagram will not help you as they are in schematic format. The only literature that I have seen that shows the routing of the wires is the installation instructions that come with a new trim/tilt switch.
I can tell you that it can be tricky to get this right and if the part that you replaced is different, then this will make it very difficult for me to now understand what is happening in your remote control. If you bought any part other than(###) ###-#### ***** is not going to be the same and will most likely not work properly. Do you have the part number for the part you bought online?
MIke