Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have what I believe is a 90's model 50hp Mariner outboard,

Customer Question

I have what I believe is a 90's model 50hp Mariner outboard, it runs fine on idle, and for about 5-10min under load, then drops revs and goes into 1/2 power, replaced stator recently thinking this was the issue, run yesterday and back to same issue, water running cold from tell tale when driving, warm when flushing motor????. Note: self oiler disconnected and running 50:1 mix direct, thoughts
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
What needs to happen is spark needs to be checked when the problem happens to see if it has spark on all cylinders, or if it drops spark. Is that something you can do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
maybe? will have to find a way to put it under load (in gear) while stationary, as it only occurs when running (in gear), goes fine when on idle only.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
When I do the engines for customers the only 2 ways to do this is to remove the engine from the boat and stick it in a test tank. Or get a bunch of tools and go out on the water. Because problems only happen under load there isn't really another way to do it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, will try the later, is there anything that causes the engine to go to half revs ie: safety features, over heating, low oil etc?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
There is an alarm system on the engine. Does your alarm work? Each time you start it, it should beep letting you know hte alarm works. Does yours beep each time you start it?