Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1989 Sunbird with a 4.3 l. OMC sterndrive. The drive

Customer Question

I have a 1989 Sunbird with a 4.3 l. OMC sterndrive. The drive was making growling noises all of the time so I disassembled it and found that a pivot screw was missing from the gimbal assembly. Also the gimbal bearing was damaged. I installed new parts then tried to slide the alignment tool in but no matter how I adjusted the engine mounts I could not find a position where the alignment tool would slide easily into the engine coupler. What do I do now?
Category: Boat
Expert:  MarineService8 replied 1 year ago.
The gimble bearing is two pieces. The inner bearing part with the hole for the driveshaft will move around inside the bearing race. You need to put you alignment tool into the bearing and move it around to get the bearing at the correct angle to slide into the engine coupler. Sometimes a little force is needed using a dead blow hammer, once you have it close you can adjust your engine mph to to get it spot on. You should be able to install and remove the alignment tool with little effort when done.