Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Tan, I'm having trouble with my boat and even the tech

Customer Question

Hi Tan, I'm having trouble with my boat and even the tech working on it is scratching his head. He is certified MerCruiser. Boat is a 2006 Sea Ray Amberjack with twin 350 mpi's mated to Bravo III sterndrives. Problem is with the starboard engine (port runs fine). Was out on the water two weeks ago (no prior problems with the boat) and was out on anchor and at end of the day tried to start SB engine, turned over for a little bit and then only would get click. Ignition works in first position. Guages come on and you hear the beep and fuel pump prime. Then when push rocker switch to start, just clicks. Thought it was the battery, all tested fine after limping back to slip on port engine only (not fun when power steering is run off starboard engine). Found out that the large positive battery cable & post was broken off the starter solenoid. The tech replaced starter since solenoid is sistered to starter. He ran the boat after replacing starter. After trying to start it a second time, the cable was blown off the solenoid again. He is now not sure what to do. He inspected all the cables and changed one of the lugs since it looked to be a bit corroded. Still having the same trouble. Have you heard of this? He doesn't seem to think the engine is hydrolocked and he thinks the flywheel is OK. And he says he is getting good readings on the low voltage leads on the solenoid. Would appreciate any insight on this strange issue. Thanks much, regards, Gordon *********************
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
Repair the current starter or get it replaced. Run the engine for a few minutes as before. This time when you turn it off, pull the spark plugs out. Kill the ignition with the kill switch and then crank the engine over. if you see water, you either have a bad head gasket or a cracked block.