Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 93 Johnson 88 spl, {J88MSLETE} Suddenly the tilt only goe

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 93 Johnson 88 spl, {J88MSLETE} Suddenly the tilt only goes up, motor makes same noise when lowering but doesn't move.
I can lower it with manual release screw but it only goes down to the point where the trim takes over. Won't trim the motor down the final part.
I checked the shuttle valve but it seemed ok looking, cleaned it a little but it only had a little discoloration on the piston. I didn't know how to test it, only visually. No broken o rings.
Do you have any ideas? I filled reservoir over and over, letting it down manually and lifting with power tilt, then topping off.
This situation must signal some specific problem but I couldn't find anything on line exactly like this.
Please help.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
What you are going to have is a stuck check ball inside the pump 24. You will need to take it apart and thoroughly clean everything and install new o-rings.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1993/J88MSLETE/POWER%20TRIM-TILT%20-%20QUIET%20RIDER/parts.html