Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Tan. You've helped me a great deal, but my 1989 Johnson

Customer Question

Hi Tan. You've helped me a great deal, but my 1989 Johnson 200 still is not running. When I'm cranking it, I am now getting water spitting out of the upper exhaust. I hope this is normal, but I think not. Can you tell me what to check or what you think?
Thanks again.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Is this coming out the ports at the back of the engine? Look in this pic. If it is that is normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is exactly where it's comming from. I finally got the motor running. The only problem is it won't idle. If I hold the linkage above the air box I can keep it revved. But it dies at idle. I'm assuming it needs to be timed. I have a timing light. The boat is in the water. Can you give me a step by step to time it? Is there another reason it may not idle? I really appreciate all the help you've given.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok we need to check idle timing/spark dwell adjustment. This can be done by cranking the engine. Look at the timing pointer at the front of the engine. Connect the timing light to # ***** cylinder. Loosen the nut with red arrow and adjust the knob with the blue arrow to achieve the correct timing. The spec is circled in red.