Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Have a carbureted 2001 sugar sand 210. Was traveling approximately

Customer Question

Have a carbureted 2001 sugar sand 210. Was traveling approximately 10 miles at 25 mph when the boat just cut off. Restarted and made it about 60 seconds at 25 mph and died again. Restarted and made it 20 seconds and 45 mph and died and could never get to fire again. Got towed in and pulled out of water and got to fire and run again in my shop real weak though. Changed spark plugs and it instantly fired and ran great. Put back in water four days later and would not start again. Turns over but acts like it's catching, starter disengages and it dies. Now key doesn't do anything for some reason. Will not turn on accessories or anything. I jumped solenoid and got key to turn stuff on and engine fired and ran. I shut off cuz no water hooked up. Tried to start again with key and still nothing happens when turned. In neutral and dead man clip installed.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you.What engine do you have in the boat?Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a merc v6 210hp carbureted. I can get specs in morning. And yes I could grab my multi meter from my collision shop. Boats aren't my thing.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Great. I can guide you through everything on the motor and the boat. do you also have a compression gauge and a spark tester?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could borrow a compression tester and spark tester from a neighbor shop. I'm attributing the problem to the key not turning on now. Maybe thinking some loose connection or faulty solenoid bouncing around is my problem. I had it running when it showed power like the key was turned. But I will get those things. Could ignition switch go bad internally? When I jumped solenoid and sent power back through it actually made key work once or twice.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Yes the key switch can fail internally. With those tools tomorrow night I can guide you how to find out exactly what is wrong with the boat. I have a day job in a busy repair shop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sunday evening or Monday night work best for me. I could have boat at my shop with all tools necessary. But to bring you to speed, when I turn key to on position and nothing turns on, the power wire that shows 12v when off drops to 2.5 volts according to my power probe along with another wire on back of ignition. But when we used an old fashion test light the key off power wire was so low it barely lit the bulb. When I push my power probe to full power the ignition works and boat will start and run. So like an eager fool I ran a jumper wire temporary to positive and brought boat to marina. Backed trailer in and when submerged boat would turn over and act like it wanted to start enough to disengage starter but would never fire. Might have started for a brief second or two but dies. I had it running for roughly three min on hose at my shop after jumping power wire until the alarm starting going off. Was assuming you couldn't leave running very long like that.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Sunday eve or Monday eve works for me. I am online during the day on weekends and in the eve on weekdays.
On the back of the key switch there should be 6 to 7 wires.
the red wire is what carries the power to it from the engine. It should always be hot. When you turn the key on, the purple wire should be getting battery power. If it is not, the switch is bad. You can get a Serria brand switch to replace yours.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So fixed the no crank problem by replacing ignition only to bring me back to original problem of the boat not running in water. I can start it just fine out of water, but once in water will not start. I started on trailer and can back it in water and it will stay running but once turned off it will not restart in water. Some people online say jet pump, but I don't even know what that is or if it's a sensor allowing water to come to far through exhaust or what. Once in water and running it has enough thrust to rock my truck pretty hard on ramp so power didn't seem to be an issue once running.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Was the boat sitting for some time before this problem started?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, bought it from a friend. I used a week before this for about 20 min no problems. I was 11 miles into a journey down the cal sag off Lake Michigan when out of blue boat died while traveling at plane 25mph for over 20 min at least
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My friend used boat the year before with no problems. I used at least two weekends before this problem came about. New gas and also added the enzyme gas treatment just in case it was water in fuel. Starts fine out of water. Will not start in water.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Take the hose off the primer pump, with a glass jar under it, have some one turn on the key and crank the engine.. Catch the fuel and see if there is any water in it at all. Try this with the bow of the boat up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll do that in the am
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. I will log on after 10 AM CST.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the fuel looks orange in color next to the new fuel I poured into an identical cup. I'm in process of siphoning all gas out now to put fresh gas in. Should I run premium or regular in this turd
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Regular gas will work just fine. Was there any water in the jar?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Different color. Didn't look too cloudy though. Either way pumped 11 gallons out and filled with 15 fresh gallons. Same thing. Starts out of water perfect. In water it acts like its getting choked out or flooded or something and doesn't start. Pulled boat back out of water and fires up second try. I'm at marina now so limited things I can do here
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Is the fuel that rains from the engine when you disconnect a hose before the fuel pump the color of the oil?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the fuel pump mechanical on these 210 mercs? If so do u mean the fuel line that connects to that square black box on left side of engine
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
yes that pump, Take the lower hose of and collect the fuel that drains out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel looks good with blue tint from oil injection
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
This was from in front of the oil pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulled line off past black square "SAE J1171 Marine" that leads to side of engine block. Blue tinge is slight. Might be cu I'm staring at a blue boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel seems good to that point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was before the oil pump. I think I jumped the gun saying it had a blue hue. Was prolly boat I seen thru jar. Clean new fuel with no water in it
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
OK,
Do you know what the compression on the engine is?