Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1998 4-winns with a 3.0/modle#985684, I have grinding

Customer Question

I have a 1998 4-winns with a 3.0/modle#985684, I have grinding noise when shifting in any gear, any help,,,!!! would be good,...plz,, thanks.BB.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** grinding is normal. When you are shifting the control are you popping it into gear or easing the drive into gear? Does the shift move freely?Remove the bottom drain plug in the drive let some lube run out then replace the plug. What color is the lube? These gearcases have a forward and reverse gear that turn all the time the engine is running. On the prop shaft is a clutch dog that engages the spinning gear to lock the prop shaft in to for or reverse gear. So when you put the drive into gear you have metal to metal that will make a grinding sound. Here is a forward gear and clutch dog. See the lugs on the clutch dog and forward gear this is what is grinding when shifting. This is why you want to pop the drive in gear to minimize the grinding. If you ease the drive into gear it will prolong the metal lugs grinding. http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/GLM22652.jpg Does this make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Makes A lot of sence , but., when put in to fwd. or rve. the engine whant's to die. the gear oil is new & up on the dip stick .lavel .
This is what makes no sense,,,,!!!!
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
How are you putting the drive into gear? If you ease it into gear it can want to stall. Is the shift stiff at all? The gear oil will have no affect on shift long as the lube is clean.