Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

1. Is there any if much horsepower difference between a standard

Customer Question

1. Is there any if much horsepower difference between a standard Johnson/Evinrude 70 and 75? (Mid 70's to low to mid 80's?)
2. Were the mid 70's Johnson/Evinrude "Stinger" engines faster, stronger and/or more horsepower than a standard 70 or 75 hp?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Do you happen to have model numbers on the engines you are questioning?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Looking at engines on Craigslist. Looking to buy something soon.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I'm sure you have heard the expressions "comparing apples to oranges" and "comparing apples to apples". There are 2 different types of engine in the 75 HP class engines. There are Inline 3 cylinders. And then there are V4 engine. And that will vary engine to engine. All horsepower being equal. A 75 V4 has more torque than a 75 Inline 3, and will get a boat up on plane faster, does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Everything I'm looking at is a 3 cylinder...no V4's.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
No what I mean is you had asked if there was horsepower difference between certain engines. Horsepower is horsepower, and that is the ability to push the boat to top speed. Depending on the years you are looking at some engines are I3's, Some are V4's. A V4 will have more torque than an I3, and will "feel" faster. Does that make better sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not looking at any V4's. My questions still remain un-answered.
1. Is there any if much horsepower difference between a standard Johnson/Evinrude 70 and 75? (Mid 70's to low to mid 80's?) 2. Were the mid 70's Johnson/Evinrude "Stinger" engines faster, stronger and/or more horsepower than a standard 70 or 75 hp?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry if you misunderstood me. No there is no horsepower difference. If all of the engines you are looking at are I3's they will all have the same power output. Did you have any further qeustions on the issue?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the start and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Just checking in. I noticed no rating has been put through yet. Did you have any further questions on the issue?