Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

My foot control speed wheel will not run the constant function

Customer Question

My foot control speed wheel will not run the constant function above 5. If the speed is increased above 5 the motor rocks back and forth and the speed of the motor does not increase. The green light for constant run goes out when the wheel is advanced above 5. The remote does the same thing. The direction function also seems to be slower. The motor seems to run fine when tested out of the water with no load. Could i have a low voltage problem or something more serious?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
It this an auto pilot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
auto pilot runs fine. that is not the problem
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** is the Ftlb of the engine?What do you mean by the motor starts to rock back and forth?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The whole shaft seems to rock due to the uneaven rpm.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Are you near the boat now?Do you have a way to supply 12V power to the motor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.this is a 24volt system. I should have checked with my volt/ohm meter to see if i am getting 24 volts to the motor. Boat is located at my lake house 21/2 hrs from here.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
The good thing about a Minn Kota motor is that even a 36V will run on 12V.How do you wish to proceed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If low voltage is not the problem then what is causing the problem. The I pilot is putting out so little energy that it is useless for fishing as is. It did not seem to have the thrust even on 10 as it once did before the current problem surfaced.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
It could also be the motor itself, or the main board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It couldn`t be something simple. Looks like i will have to look up the nearest authorized service center.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
I can guide you through it when you get out there. You will need the meter and a power supply and some hand tools.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It may be a week are so before i can get back down to the lake. How can i get hold of you when i get there?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Reply back to this question or we can do it by phone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will have to do it by phone as all we will have to work with down there is a smart phone.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
I have submitted an offer to you to get my cell number. With it you just call me when you are ready.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.Thanks Charles.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome. If using the phone, please accept the day before so I can get my number to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Charles the next time you get these symptoms suspect a dead battery. A 6 month old batter shows fully charged but had zero output. Free replacement battery cured my probkem. Minn Kota may operate on 12 volts but the digital functions will not.. next time you get an I pilot with the symptoms I described tell them to ck there batteries first.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
I will do that. Thanks.