Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Having issue with my vro on my 2001 Johnson 175 hp I had someone

Customer Question

having issue with my vro on my 2001 Johnson 175 hp I had someone take the oil pump off of fuel pump. there are 4 screws that need to be screwed back in with also a gasket. the 2 top screws seemed to be stripped out. and I am leaking oil where the oil pump is connected. any suggestions on what to do ? the reason he took it off was I was having fuel restriction problems, but figured out after it was my gas tank that was bad.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? At this point you need a new pump. Did you need any help with part numbers or anything like that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello my name is ***** ***** you saying new oil pump, or the whole pump fuel and oil?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul, whole new pump. Your choice is that. Or, just leave it be and cap the oil side, and premix the fuel. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it makes sense, I was just trying to see if anyone has run into same problem and maybe somehow was able to get it sealed up. maybe use a little bigger screw and hopefully I could get a better seal ?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The thing is, in all reality nobody should have tried to take apart that pump in the first place. Back in the 90's when OMC owned Johnson/Evinrude they used to sell rebuild kits for them, and then they decided to stop because they caused more problems than they fixed mainly because you can't torque a screw into plastic more than once. So they stopped selling the kits. There are 1 or 2 people still selling "new old stock" kits that are leftovers. But they are at this point 20+ year old kits that were discontinued by the manufactorure. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it does, thank you I will probably cap oil and premix for now and get a new pump in off season.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
What you will want to do is premix at a 50 to 1 ratio. 2.6 ounces of oil per gallon. Did you have any further questions on the issue?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the start and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Just checking in. I noticed no rating has been put through yet. Did you have any further questions on the issue?