Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1979 50hp Mercury outboard. I have some starting problems.

Customer Question

I have a 1979 50hp Mercury outboard. I have some starting problems. I screw apart the fuel bowl on the top carburator - to look if there was water in it. When I took out the bowl a metalic piece fell down. I looked it up and it is called "baffle". Is it necessary to replace it? What is the function of it? Is there any good picture or so to see where to replace it? I can not find out where to. Regards Henric
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
The baffle is necessary. It keeps the fuel coming in from the inlet needle from splashing around.I don't have a good picture but can tell you how to replace it.Turn the carb upside down. Remove the gasket that seals to float bowl, you'll need to replace it. There is a small U shaped tab on the baffle. This goes into the channel where the float bowl sits. It baffles the fuel inlet side. Put it into place and you'll see how it fits around an idle tube in the cast body. Put a new gasket on the carb and new gaskets on the screw holding the bowl on there is one on either side of the bowl. So screw, gasket, bowl, gasket.Do not overtighten the bowl screw, make sure the bowl is centered on the gasket.Put the carb back on the motor with a new mounting gasket and squeeze the primer bulb looking for any leaks.That's all you need to do.Post back with any further questions on this.