Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I am in the process of replacing the water pump on a 1992,

Customer Question

I am in the process of replacing the water pump on a 1992, 25hp, Johnson outboard. The new pump is ready to go in. However, it appears from the directions that the shaft should be out from the motor. I tried to pull it out. I can feel it disengage from
the motor, but it won't come out.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? What is the model number on the engine? And what exactly is holding you up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
J25elens
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm trying to put the gaskets and pump housing together on the shaft. I noticed to directions look like the shaft is already out and free. I can't seem to pull the shaft out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It slides in and out. It wiggles all around. But won't come out.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I've got the model number. For the next part. What are you trying to do? Are you trying to remove the vertical driveshaft?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Putting the water pump back together on the vertices shaft. The one with the splines on the end. Directions seem to show the shaft is removed which would make this job eadier
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Verticle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying to remove shaft.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You tube shows the shaft coming out right along with the gear case . Not this one
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The shaft does not have to come out to change the impeller. Why would you by trying to remove it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, so you're saying the Verticle shaft stays connected to motor, and then I should try to slide the new water pump in place inside the gear case, by pushing it up and on from the bottom.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The shaft does not push down through while separated from the motor?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Well, sort of. All you do is remove the 4 bolts from the pump cover. Then remove the cover. And then lift up on the old impeller. And remove the old gasket underneath of the impeller. Re-assemble in reverse order. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was sitting on the garage floor holding the gear case trying to shove it up onto the shaft. Does that sound right?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
No that does not sound right. Do you have the top pump cover off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. The shaft and gear shift rods protrude from the lower unit. So I slid the top half of pump housing on to shaft to that notch. Put in key or pin. Now put sealant and fiber gasket on gear case part. Next to get gear case part to connect with part on shaft I tried to slide gear case up onto shaft. I know I'm I don't know what I'm doing. Just trying to help a friend
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying to get water pump top and bottom together
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** posted to your original question. The shaft has to come out of the engine. If it is stuck in the bottom of the crank shaft it has to be removed. You can't assemble the pump correctly without the shaft being in the lower unit.