Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 114 yamaha outboard. I had a weak battery and am

Customer Question

I have a 114 yamaha outboard. I had a weak battery and am charging it. It showed 10 volts and would not lift the engine like it does for triming. It now shows 13 volts and it now lifts the engine up, but the starter will not work. It clicks but does not seem to turn the engine over. Since the volts are up , does this mean the starter is messed up or could it be something else?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Put your voltmeter on the start relay where the battery connects take a reading. Next put it on the lead to the starter, attempt to crank the starter, what is your voltage here? Also check the voltage on the small start wire to the relay.You should have at least 12 volts where you check. If less then that component or the battery is bad.Post what you get.