Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

2004 merc 50 ELPTO had some wires melt down (loose or corroded

Customer Question

2004 merc 50 ELPTO had some wires melt down (loose or corroded connections suspected) Cut the burned connectors out back to good wire and butt spliced back. Engine fire right up and runs smoothly and idle. Comes up to 3800-4000 and runs smooth all day. Cannot get to full rpm of 5000-5500 as specified. Trigger assemby? Voltage regulator?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** how bad the fire was, I would look over all of the electrical on the engine. Then I would to look at would be the spark plugs to make sure that I do not have a fouled one. After that I would measure the cranking voltage from the stator and the flywheel. Should be over 180V AC on the stator and just over 1V on the trigger for each ire color.