Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

The stern drive on my 270 volva penta will not lock down

Customer Question

The stern drive on my 270 volva penta will not lock down when in reverse
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** the drive all the way down and the tilt light off? If the tilt isn't all the way down the drive will not lock.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The drive is all the way down no tilt light
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok the reverse lock spring # ***** is gone or broken in this diagram is the reverse lock spring this holds the locking pawls in place. Look at you drive in the up position you should see a collar # ***** with a small tab with a hole in the tab there should be a spring # ***** in the hole(arrow) connecting to the pin # ***** Is spring there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is 2 springs and both seem to be in tact
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
No this will be a single spring in the middle. If you look at the pic I posted look at the arrow. See the tab? There is a hole in the tab the spring must be in that hole and connected to the cross pin # ***** If no spring that is the problem. Open the link for pic. http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/jacksparrow1956/8e25caa3-28f8-4239-851d-2aa03a745554_5972.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
found #50 spring and it seems fine, the bar that it is to hook to when down doest seem to be holding it as when it is all the way down you can pull it up manuel
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok look at bar # ***** this bar can keep the lock down in the up position. Have you trailered the boat with the drive tilted up without the tralering bar?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There has never been a trailering bar on the unit so could it be something to do with 46b bar?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Yes if the bar is binding in the hole at the top of the bracket it will not let the drive lock as the bar is keeping the bar from moving freely. If you grab the bar # ***** does it move up and down freely? In this diagram you will see the bar # ***** and the 2 circled areas the top circle is wher the bar goes through the bracket. When trailering the boat this will get mushroomed out causing the bar to no mover freely. Keeping the driove from locking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bushing #38.....hinges on leg bushing are worn 1/4-3/8 inches are these bushings availiable and could this cause the lock to be deficiant?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Those are available and will not affect the reverse lock. Here is the part number to a bushing kit. 826341 Here is the link to the kit. http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/cart/index.php?ID=826341 When you have the intermediate apart replacing the bushings. Check the rod for the reverse lock where it comes out the top of the bracket. The top circle.