Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

Water leak on 2003 sea doo rx di while sitting at the dock

Customer Question

water leak on 2003 sea doo rx di while sitting at the dock
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the battery and there was no water in the boat now just sitting its filling up slowly
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** ski from the water and put it on the trailer. Leave the bilge plugs in. Add some water to the inside of the engine compartment. Have the bow of the ski slightly up to get the water to run to the back of the ski. Then from the outside of the hull, simply look for any place that the water may be coming out from. Repair that spot and you are riding dry again.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for requesting me and allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today. The most common place is the carbon ring and seal on these, though there are other places as well the carbon ring is most common. The carbon ring is the part the driveshaft passes through before it exits the hull. Most important here is does it only take on water while running or also with engine off, with engine not running means that it is a hull leak. Remove seats and storage basket, now with hull sitting in the water watch the driveshaft area where it exits the hull for water coming in around the carbon ring/seal, if not coming in there then a good way is as explained above with the exception do not use enough water to allow engine to ingest water, this means bow up high and water mostly only over rear hull area, when this fills check outside with a flashlight inside of the pump area, in many cases I have found cracked pump support mount/brackets and or broken bolts no longer having it sealed to the hull and allowing water in (part 47 here is pump support) http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=seadoopwc&a=199&b=12&c=0&d=-PROPULSION-SYSTEM---INTERNAL . Note any thru-hull bolts and fittings and cables can also allow water to enter the hull if damaged or sealant missing. This includes the ride plate mounting bolts, also rare but can be a cracked hull. Most importantly, check that the hull drain plugs are correctly inserted and not damaged/leaking. Carbon ring and seals shown here: http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=seadoopwc&a=199&b=11&c=0&d=-PROPULSION-SYSTEM---DRIVESHAFT Thank you!- Joe Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated. If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day! If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.