Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

How likely is circuit breaker to go bad on a 4.3 mercury

Customer Question

How likely is for a circuit breaker to go bad on a 4.3 mercury cruiser?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Breakers do go bad. To tell you would measure the current out of it with an amp clamp. If you see no/little current and it trips, then it's bad. If you see a rush of current as it trips. There is a problem and it's doing its' job. That being said, there is 1 thing to check. Are you near the engine now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am actually away from the boat at the moment. I will back on Wednesday evening.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
A bad alternator will cause the breaker to continiously trip. What you want to do is disconnect the battery first. And then disconnect the wires on the alternator, and tape them up so they can't hit anything. Connect the battery back up and see if it trips again or not. If not, obviously a bad alternator. If it does trip. Disconnect the ignition coil next and see what happens. If it still trips, then at that point even without measuring the current its safe to say the breaker is bad. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the start and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Just checking in. I noticed no rating has been put through yet. Did you have any further questions on the issue?