Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Was driving my 1986 sea ray with an alpha one in out (chevy

Customer Question

was driving my 1986 sea ray with an alpha one in out (chevy v6-believe it is 3.x l motor) and gas it and ended up being towed in because when I tried to put it in gear the kill switch killed it. Back at the doc motor runs fine and when I put it in gear it died. Then after checking cables and adjusting to 6 inches for the lower cable it will not go in gear when the motor is running. Played with shifter and throttle body for adjustment. When I put it in gear going forward and spin the propeller counter clockwise it will not move, if I do this for reverse spinning in clockwise it doesn't go. When I turn the motor on and try an put it in gear it just revs up like using the throttle button.
Category: Boat
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 1 year ago.
Hi,it sounds like you may need a new shift cable.If you disconnect the lower cable from the shift rack, can you shift it by hand into both forward andreverse?Is there drag on the cable, that is, does it move freely?If the lower cable has too much drag, it will trip the cut-out switch when you shift and kill the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if I disconnect the lower cable from the shift rack and it doesn't go into forward or reverse, then it is most likely the lower shift cable (to change you have to pull the in out drive correct). When you try and put the boat in forward or reverse, the lever is hard to move so I was thinking it was the upper cable. I will go and try the lower cable again.
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 1 year ago.
It's most likely the lower shift cable even if you can put it in gear by hand.Yes, the drive would needs to come off.
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 1 year ago.
See how hard it is to shift.