Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Bought a 1995 yamaha waverunner 3 650. Ran at the persons house

Customer Question

Bought a 1995 yamaha waverunner 3 650. Ran at the persons house but when i got home and cleaned it up getting ready for family trip. It will not start. Checked all the obvious things. When i check for spark there is none. Im thinking coil went bad overnight somehow but not sure how to check the coil,stator, or cdi
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.Although it certainly could be an electrical failure like you said, I would suggest you make another test first.Open the hood and look for the large collection of wires. Then, separate them enough to find the 2 wire connector that has 1 black wire and 1 white wire in it.Once you find it, unplug that connection and re-test for spark. DO NOT attempt to start it with this unplugged, if it were to start you would have no way of stopping the engine. So make sure you are only testing for spark. If you get spark with it unplugged, it means the contacts have corrosion on them in the stop switch. You can take that apart and clean the contacts and that should solve all your problems. If it doesn't work, let me know and i will walk you through checking and testing the ignition circuits. This is certainly a lot more common failure than anything other component in the electrical system.Thanks,RSRBOB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I seperated that connection put the lanyard on. Put plugs in caps and held them to a bolt on the motor. Still no spark
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. It sounds like we need to check the ignition system now, component by component.First, check the coil. Check from one high tension lead to the other, with the spark plug caps removed. You should have 4.1K Ohms, +/- 0.6K Ohms.Next check the primary side. Check from the orange wire to the black wire coming out of the coil (inside the electric box). Resistance is supposed to be 0.092 Ohms, +/- 0.014 Ohms. Since this is such a minute resistance, make sure you check the internal resistance of your meter and subtract that internal resistance from the reading you get when you check the primary side of the coil.The next test is for the charge coil. The connectors will all be inside the electrical box where the coil is.Check from the brown to black wire on the harness side, not going in to the CDI but going back to the stator. The resistance should be 365 Ohms +/- 10%.Next is the pulser coil. Check from the White/Red wire to the black wire. It should be 14 Ohms, +/- 1.4 ohms.Check those out and let me know if you need more help. I am happy to help.ThanksRSRBOB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
White/red to black 14.7. No brown headed to strator but had brown/white to black 353. Orange to black .3 minus meters .2 is .1. Caps removed from plugs no reading inside cap. Push probes through rubber right nest to coil on inside of box 5.01 on 20k setting on meter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also i got the meter resistance by holding the prongs together( if that is the right way)