Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have Yamaha Twin jet boat It has too much smoke, how can I fix it please, I do app

Customer Question

HI:
I have Yamaha Twin jet boat
It has too much smoke, how can I fix it please, I do appreciate your help
Amir
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.First, do you know if it has the variable ratio oil pump conversion kit installed on your engines? If not, that is one major factor as to why it is smoking, especially lower throttle openings. The NON VRO puts out a ton of oil at idle, to try to keep the engine protected while its not running.If you do have a VRO system, you need to verify the oil pump adjustment cable is set properly. There is a line stamped into the cable pulley on the oil pump that lines up with a stamped line inside a small circle casting on the cases. If the lines do not line up, you need to loosen the oil pump cable on one end, or both and adjust the pulley cable so the two lines are in alignment with each other.The other thing you can try is a smokeless oil, or low smoke oil. If you are running some inexpensive brand of oil, you can either live with the smoking or change brands of oil.Let me know if you need anymore help.ThanksRSRBOB